Evia is a paradise for the lovers of nature and sports. All seasons of the year the visitors can participate either as athletes or watching sport games and even living the action, the challenge, the trial and the emotion discovering at the same time, the natural environment, the beauty of the nature and feeling the local colours and scents.
Trekking and mountaineering trails in Evia
The morphology of the ground, the imposing mountains with its dense and green forests in the north and the wild, rough and impressive landscape in the south, the wetlands, gorges, rivers, bridges, cobblestone, watermill, waterfalls, the two mountain shelters, the traditional residents, the olive trees, the wine yards, the living local tradition, the folk art and the local gastronomy all offer you unique experiences near the nature, from simple walking in idyllic places to mild climbing.
The "Greek Mountaineering Club" of Halkida, www.eoschakidas.gr, has mapped a lot of hiking and mountain trails, allowed the safety pass all seasons of the year.
The ascent to the tops of mounts, particularly in Spring, is one of the most exciting experiences that someone can be lived in Evia. The colours and smells of wild flowers and herbs will rejuvenate you from the start of the hiking.
Trekking and mountaineering trails in North Evia
- Agios-Prokopi (hours course: 6 easy)
- Mnimeio-Pyxjarias (hours driving: 6.5, less easy)
- Vlachia-Pyxarias (hours course: 6, less easy)
- Pili-Pyxarias (course hours: 2, easy)
- Troupi-Strougkitsa (hours driving: 3.5, less easy)
- Mount Kandili (Makisto) (hours driving: 7.5, less easy)
- Gorge Neleas (Arapis) (hours course: 2, easy)
- Katarraktes- mount Xiron (hours driving: 3.5, easy)
- Mount Hiron (hours course: 3 easy)
- Kastaniotissa-Semia (course hours: 4 easy)
- Lichada - Top of mount Lichas (course hours: 2, easy)
- Kourkouloi- peak of mount Hiron (3.00 hours, b. Difficulty
Trekking and mountaineering trails in central Evia
- Chalkida- Mytikas - Ampelia- Monastery of Aghios Georgios ARMA
- Chalkida- Alikes
- Alikes – mount Ktipas
- The round of Karababa
- Eretria -archaeological place- Akropoli
- Eretria - villages of mount Olympus
- Lafkanti- archaeological place Xiropoli- Island Dreams
- The round of Lelantion field
- Amarynthos-palaiopanagia- temple of Artemis
- Karavos- lampos-rifi-pontikou-kalami-akti Nireos
- Aliveri- Karavos-Punta
- Avlonari- Oktonia- Agios Dimitrios (monastery of waterfall) – monastery Matzari
- Konistres- Agioe Vlassis-Loka- Episkopi- Vrysi- Dirrefmata- Konistres
- Kimi - Saviour Monastery - Chili
- Avlonari – monastery of Agios Charalampos
- Oktonia - Saint Mercurius-Mourteri
- Mill Sadda - Andronianon Bridge: length: 1,563 meters
- Mill Sadda - dendra - Prophet Elias – Metallia: length: 4.543 meters
- Kimi - Andronianoi – Ortari: (870 m) - Gorge Myli
- Kymi- monastery Metamorphosis Sotiros- Castle St. Georgiou- Soutsini, O.P. 5
- Source of Xoneftiko - Koryfi Ortari - Campos Vitalo, 7 hours
- Andronianoi-Metohi (hours course: 6 easy)
- Konistres - Kadi - Militsa - Vromonera O.P. : 5 meters
- Andronianoi - Militsa - Vromoneri O.P. : 5 modest
- Vromonera - Eftaos - Rema Karya O.P. 3 easy
- Brysi - Dragonara - Castle O.P. 6 moderate
- Vrysi- Mavrovouni - Kadi
- The round of Kymi villages
Trekking and mountaineering trails in southern Evia
- Myloi- Kolones- Refuge in mount Ochi-dragon house in Ochi-Top (hour course: 4, easy
- Petrokanalo – gorge of Dimosari
- Petrokanalo - Anemopyla (Cavo Doro mountains)
- Rouklia- Petrokanalo- gorge Dimosari
- Agios Dimitrios -Gorge St. Dimitriou- Trail of Sara (hours driving: 2.5, easy
- Agios Dimitrios – Kalergo of Kallianou
- Kalyvia (Environmental Information Center) - Lala - portes - Top Ochi
- Kalyvia – Agia Triada - Castel roso- Mills
- Marmari- great ammos- Zastani- Kefalas
- Styra - kolones- drakospitaof Styra -Akropoli Armena (hours driving: 2.5, easy)
- Nea Styra - Tzali- Terpsithea- Diliso
- Nea Styra – Lefka - Kagkadaioi
- Platanistos - Elliniko- Potami
- Path of coast Archampolis
- Giannitsi - Castle Fylagra
- Beach Almyropotamos - Tigani
- Beach Almyropotamou- Agios Dimitrios- Sykies gerou- Porto Buffalo
- Beach Almyropotamos - old mine (palio orihio)
- Aliveri- Karavos- castle Rizokastro
- Aliveri- Coast Nireos- old monopati- OLYMPIC STAR hotel
- The round of lake Dystos
- Petries- watermills-Stomio (course hours: 2, easy)
- Zarakes- Argyro- beach Agios Dimitrios
Εxploration of Gorges
Astonishing beauty are the gorges of Evia and they are offered for crossing, exploration, adventure, challenge and unique experiences:
Gorge of River Nileas or Arapis or Bolovinainas
It is located near the village of Agia Anna (3 km west) in a mountainous area near the village of Palaiovrysi. The sources of the river start height up the village Karasia and cast out in the Aegean Sea on the beach of Krya Vrysi in the ancient Kyrinthos. The course is difficult and lasts 7-8 hours. You will need to swim in same places. The gorge called “Bolovinenas” because as the history refers during the revolution of 1821 Bolovinaina, a young girl, wanting to avoidthe Turkish army fell into the river and then it took her name. The “Arapis” name probably comes from the ancient legend, which referred that the sheep that drank water from the banks of Neleus river, gave birth black lambs.
Gorge of Agali
It is located near Agios Athanasios village, from where the path begins. It is a rare beauty gorge. The green slopes with plane trees, the plants, the streams and cliffs with the various colors create a beautiful bouquet of natural beauty. The gorge in its route forms small waterfalls. The Visitor will see streams to run thought the steep tocks. The ascent through the gorge runs cyclically the western foothills of mount Dyrfis.
Gorge Dimosari. (Hours course: 5 easy).
It is the most popular and most beautiful gorge of Evia. It starts from the feet of the mount Ochi “Petrokanalo” (altitude 960 m.), Its length 10 km, it cross the river Dimosari and through Lennosaioi village ends up to the beach at Kallianos. The route is amazing beautiful, on the cobbled streets, near the banks of the river, with springs, waterfalls, ponds, dense plants in all shades of green.
Gorge St. Demetrios. (2.30 hours, easy).
It is the stream that leads towards the beach of the village, the “Schinodavlia” in the Aegean sea. It is an impressive gorge with rocky cliffs, bushes, plane trees, oak trees in small waterfalls and natural pools.
Gorge Nea Styra (course hours: 2, easy).
It starts from the village Reouzi or Zoodohos Pigi. It is impressive, full of oleander, lentisk, cedars, plane trees etc. and ends up to the crystal waters of the Aegean.
Platanistos Gorge - river beach. (Time 4).
The gorge is an idyllic forest landscape and through a verdant valley with plane trees, trees willow, crystal waters and sources lends up to the beach “Potami” with very thin white gravel.
Archampolis Gorge (five hours, easy).
It is located on the northeast side of mount Ochi between Evangelismos and Thymi villages. The route is of wild beauty. Vertical cutter rocks create a dramatic landscape that endsup to a wonderful beach.
Climbing - Climbing Areas
On the steep and the clear rocks at the mountains of Evia have been formed several climbing areas of various degrees of difficulty, by the Mountaineering Association of Halkida, EOS, there specialists professionals give to the friends of the climbing unique experiences
-Kamari. It is located near the Kamari village in central Evia, close to the monastery of St. George ARMA. It consists of three large limestone rocks and the lanes are mainly at vertical cliff
-Hiliadou. Chiliadou is one of the most famous beaches of Evia, just 1.5 hours from Halkida. The rock rising up above the beach, is of limestone, quite sharp and ideal for climbing of all levels of difficulty. There are rocks you can traverse without ropes and special equipment and as well steep cliffs for the most demanded. In the middle of the beach there are two facing rocks with more high routes.
-Karaouli,close to Steni village. This large complex of rocks, of high quality limestone, with a height of 15-80 meters and equipped with stainless steel plates and machined stainless steel plugs. There are over 25 routes
-Oktonia. It is an imposing rock, that overlooks on the north slope of Kallimanis mountain (762m), at an height of 470m, with panoramic view in the gulf of Kymi and the island of Skyros.
-Katavolos at Metohi. It is located 6 km before the village Metochi, in eastern central Evia, overlooking the Aegean sea on the outskirts of Kotylaia mountain. It consists of compact limestone of excellent quality and it has 19 tracks.
-Vrysi.It is located in the west of the Vrysi village, at the "Bougazi" area. The climbing area is an limestone rock, quite sharp and of excellent quality. Its height is about 40 meters and contains 16 tracks. One can climb all year on the sharp rocks of the mount.
The Horse Riding in Evia has been developed and organized significantly offering excitement and unique experiences for fans of all ages.
Eight (8) specially organized Horses Centers, with trained staff and trained horses wait for you to revealing the secrets of riding. Here you have the opportunity to make short or far trips on horsebacks, in nature trails, in the forests, pine trees, plane trees and olive groves, mountain peaks, rivers, streams or by the sea and to enjoying the nature and experience fascinating of emotions and unforgettable experiences .
Riding lessons and trips are provided at the Horses Centers. The horse riding routs last about 30’, 60’, half an hour or a full day trips, etc.). At the farms, the visitors can also take part in feeding and in training of the horses
Many Horse centers afford playgrounds, trampoline, also they organize hiking, cycling and they give opportunity of the preparation of homemade food. Also they keep small zoos with pets.
-Athletic Regular Riding Club (mesh)
Agia Anna beach, Tel. 6944-308.285, 6972-530.639
-Horse Farm "IPPEROS"
Psaropouli (Vasilika Beach), T / 6932-796.964, www.ipperosfarm @ gmail.com,
-Equestrian Centre "PETALO"
Taxiarhis Village. T / 22260-72.518, 6973-936.469, www.petalohorseriding.gr
-Equestrian Centre 'KAMATRIADES"
Kamatriades, TIL.22260-87.201, 6970-207751, www.tassokrishorses.com
-Chalkida Riding Club , at the Nterneki area
It is the oldest equestrian club in Evia with great tradition in sports riding and caring for horses.
Provides riding lessons, horses training and learning.
-Equestrian Centre in Androniani Kimi, (www.platanenhof.gr) Hagen Loty Tel .: 2222029669 6987372009, www.jo.hagengr83 @ gmail.com.
-Karystos Riding Club "PHILIPPI"
Tel .: 22240-23960, 2224029023 Fax, Mob. 6932277853, www.vetcare @ otenet.gr,
The Bicycling, as a sport activity, which has targets in adventuring, challenging, entertainment, the contact with nature and the discovery of unexplored areas, there have been a lot of friends in Evia. Men, women and children of all ages participate in bicycling events of all kinds with safety and pleasure. The Bicycling offers emotion, pleasure and enjoying of the nature.
Bicycling routs and motor biking routs
-Loutra -Polylofos- Monastery of St. George of Ilia
-Loutra Aidipsou- Agios- Galatsades- prophet Elijah (Telethrio mount)
-Louyta Aidipsou- Saint Nikolaos- Gialtra- Gregolimano- Saint Georgios- Lichada- cape
-Oreoi-Taxiarhis (cooperative figs, equestrian center) - Kastaniotissa- Galatsades- Kamatriades- Semia
-Istiaia- Monokarya- Milies- Kryoneritis-
-Istiaia- Voutas-Kokkinomilia- Kerasia- Museum fossil mammals
-Istiaia- Avgaria- Galatsonas- Gerakiou- Artemisio- Asmini
-Rovies- Monastery of Saint David- waterfalls Drymonas-Kerasia- Beach Ag. Anna
-Limni- katounia- Monastery Galataki-Xaroupia
-Chalkida- Mytikas - Ambelia- Filla, monastery of Aghios Georgios ARMA
-The round of the castle of Karababa
-Eretria - villages of Olympus
-Lafkanti- archaeological place Hiropoli- Island Dreams
-The round of Lelantine field
-Amarynthos-palaiopanagia- temple of Artemis
-Karavos- kambos, rifi-Pontikos-coast Nireos
-Avlonari- Oktonia- Agios Dimitrios (monastery of waterfall)- monastery of Mantzari
-Konistres- Agiow Vlassis-Loka- Episkopi- Vrysi- Dirrefmata- Konistres
-Kimi - Saviour Monastery - Chili
-The round of Kimi villages
- The round of mount Ochi
- Karystos- Bouros- Mantili- Kastri
- Karystos – Paximadi cape
- Karystos- Potami beach
- Karystos or Marmari - Rouklia- Petrokanalo
- Marmari - Porto Lafia - Nea Styra
- Nea Styra- Deleso
- Karystos- Agios Dimitrios -Schoinodaflia
- Karystos – Gianitsi beach
- Karystos- Varelaioi beach
- Karystos - Almyropotamos beach
- Marmari - Porto Lafia- Nimporio
- Karystos – Deleso.
In Shooting Clubs, that are found in Evia, as well as the new Archery section of the Mountaineering Association of Chalkida, www.eoschalkidas.gr, you can exercise, train and act in your favourite sport, the archery. If you do not have your archery equipment you will be given by the Mountaineering Association of Chalkida.