Places of worship and monasteries of Evia
Religion is faith with the help of cognition and sensation. According to the New Testament, Religion is the set of actions of human faith. Religious tourism as a way of expressing this need of man, an important part of Greek tourism and involves visiting religious places of worship, such as monasteries and churches. The human movement in places of worship, in pursuit of the sacred or divine is an important psychological need for every person, regardless of race, ethnicity or religion. The main incentive for people to make trips of this type, is the religious element which most often are combined with other incentives covering tourist needs.
Imposing temples stand proudly in several places with a long history and numerous monasteries compose a unique " scene " of particular religious character .
Evia with sacred shrines of St. John the Russian in Prokopi Northern Evia and the shrine of St. Faneromeni in New Artaki.
SACRED PILGRIMAGE OF SAINT JOHN THE RUSSIAN
One of the most important pilgrimages not only of Evia and the whole of Hellenism is the church of St. John the Russian located in Prokopi North Evia. In the church hosted the venerable relics of St. John the Russian, who moved into a new home in 1925 Procopius rootless refugees from Cappadocia. Thousands of visitors visit the Holy particular on the day of celebration May 27th. Christians from every region make use of the worship and invoke the help of the difficult moments. Believers on the eve of May 26 go walk the sacred temple to worship, covering a distance from 30 to 50 kilometers. The village Prokopi is about 50 km from the center capital of Evia, traveling in a magnificent, picturesque and wooded path.
St John the Russian was born in 1690 in Ukraine. Having come of age, he was recruited to the army of Peter the Great and took part in the Russo-Turkish War (1710–1711). During the war he was captured prisoner and sold to slavery to the head of Turkish cavalr. The saint refused to adopt Islam and and was humiliated and tormented by the Turks, who called him a “kafir”, meaning "unbeliever". But in due time, the mockery stopped due to saint's steadiness in faitd, humility and diligence, and saint John became respected by his master and the household Many are the miracles reported by Christians and Turks during the lifetime of John . The Turks surprised now call him ''Veli” saint.
His holy relics are undecayed and wonder-working; there are evidences that this saint particularly helped the sick children and those who suffered from cancer.
The feast of St. John the Russian is on the 27th of May, and on this day thousands of visitors are pilgrims who flock to honor and venerate the saint.
The Miraculous Panagia Faneromeni of Nea Artaki in Evia
The Holy Shrine of Virgin Mary revealed in New Artakis Evia. Located in New Artaki 8 miles north of Halkida, the National Road which joins Chalcis with Central and Northern Evia.
The history of the original icon of Panagia Faneromeni dates back to the 12th century. Its location was revealed in a miraculous manner to the people of Kizikou in Asia Minor, who named it "the revealed one" (Faneromeni). Eventually a monastery was built on the spot of the discovery, and the icon was housed there until 1922 when the Orthodox was forced out of the region. Taking the icon with them, the people went to Constantinople, and the holy icon was placed in the Church of Saint George in the Patriarchate where it remains till this day
HOLY MONASTERIES OF EVIA
Monastery of St. George Ilion
In northern Evia and just 15 km from the city of Edipsos is the historic monastery of St. George Ilion. In an area of magnificent natural beauty, a great ravine formed at the SW side of Mount Telethrion overlooking North Evian, the historic monastery counts many centuries of history.
The monastery was built on the ruins of an ancient temple dedicated to the god of Apollo, who was the god of the Sun and Light. In fact the name of the monastery " Ilia " appears to have derived from a corruption of the place name " sunflower " which , according to Strabo, the mean place where an altar or oracle of Apollo .
The monastery was a place of refuge and protection of many Christians and even scientists in the difficult years of occupation. It is especially loved by the residents of the area. For centuries men in 1970 was transformed into a woman on Metropolitan Nicholas Chalcis (Selenti). Today's fraternity in the abbess Pelagia and the entire support of many pilgrims, renovated and adorned the buildings of the monastery
Since 1971, was converted into a female monastery.
MONI CHRYSOVALANTOU ( Holy Peace )
It is newly established convent, monastery of St. George, which belongs to the municipality Aedipsoulocated two kilometers from the intersection that exists in the 10km mile of country road Aedipsou - Limni. The monastery maintains the traditional Byzantine austerity and imposes the feeling of piety and serenity to the pilgrim.
MONASTERY OF ST DAVID ( Transfiguration )
The monastery of Saint David is located in northern Evia and is one of the most famous and visited monasteries in Greece. The popularity is largely due to the personality of the charismatic monk who was abbot of the end of his life. This is Elder James Tsalikis, in mediating whose recoverable crowd testimonials relief of human suffering. Even after his death ( 1991 ) hundreds of believers arrive at the monastery especially on weekends to worship his grave and seek help on their problems .
The monastery is located across from the village Drimonas on the foothills of the mountains " Horseman ". Access to the monastery is via the intersection Edipsou Limni, just outside Rovies located 22 kilometers from Evia and 10km of Limni.
Saint David was born in the late 15th century. He traveled to monasteries in Thessaly and became a monk in the Great Lavra on Mount Athos . He was head of the monastery Varnakova.
He was detained by the Turks on the category of smuggled fugitive Christians. After his release he came to Evia and founded in 1550 on the monastery on the ruins of the earlier Byzantine church of the Transfiguration.
Saint David ascetic there isolated in a cell that today is the church of Agios Haralambos. It is said that he has built with his hands the bulky tower that survives today in Galataki the monastery to protect the monks from attacks by pirates.
The monastery was honored with imperial titles, but were destroyed by the Turks in 1824, as an act of revenge for participating in the revolution. During the Revolution of 1821 the monastery helped against the Turkish junta.
Inside the monastery there are Byzantine icons crafted in Mount Athos. In an elaborate reliquary kept fragrant relics of Saint David and the censer, the stole and the rod.
The post Byzantine monument is the chapel forming the east and south wing of the monastery in a small underground catacomb carved into the rock.
Galataki Monastery ( St. Nicholas )
The monastery of Saint Nikolaos, or known as Galataki Monastery too. It was built in the 15th century and it is one of the oldest monasteries in Evia. According to the history, the monastery has been built in the place which in antiquity was the temple of Poseidon Aegean, a view supported by both the descriptions of ancient texts, and the existence of material from ancient buildings, used in the construction of the ledger. It is 12km from Limni and the road that leads to the monastery is an accessible country road. The scenery is very beautiful and the view towards the blue waters of Evian Gulf is simply breathtaking.
It is a women’s monastery and has great history dating from the Byzantine period, in 1576. At the court yard are pieces of an ancient temple of Poseidon, while in the same area is a Venetian tower, which according the traditional tales, was built by the old Saint David. Very near to the monastery, on a rocky area, is the ascetic cave of Saint Andreas ( Andrew ).
The origin of the name " Galataki " was first mentioned in 1503 Sultan definition and other Turkish documents, while the Patriarchal documents varies between the name and the place-name " in the interim Galataki " or " of Galataki " ( sigils 1572.1764 ). In 1572 Kirill, Patriarch of Moscow called the monastery "royal stavropigiaka Monastirio" because it belonged to the Patriarch of Constantinople. In 1205, when given as a fief by Boniface Monferaticus across Evia to James Avensio the monastery existed and was flourishing. During the Frankish period it suffered a lot of damage until it was deserted after the Turkish invasion of 1470 and until 1503 when it started to flourish again.
Today it is converted into a female monastery and it is celebrated on December 6th and May 20th.
HOLY MONASTERY OF SAINT GEORGE ARMA
The Holy Monastery of St. George, and ARMA is chosen, is built on a pine area 10 kilometers East of Phylla Evia and total about 20 km from Chalkida. Inscription on the outside wall of the east wall has a year of establishment ZRME = 7145 since the creation of the world, ie in 1637. Equally likely, however, the year (1637) painted to the cast that is later added to the nave, rectangular, with a dome resting on four columns, which are taken from an ancient pagan temple, and other materials. During the Turkish occupation, the monastery of St. George was the spiritual center of the region. From the womb came the Turkish occupied ethnegertis of Evia, Bishop Euripus and president of the Holy Synod Neophytos Adam.
From the old abbey church survives today, which is one of the finest late Byzantine monuments of the island. It is a cruciform church with a dome and even complex tetrakis (Constantinopolitan type). The temple consists of a narthex with almost square plan and the main temple, which bears a dome supported on four columns derived from pre-Christian edifice (probably temple).
Here is the inscription that the anagram of the monastery which gave its present name . The estimates dating to the 13th or 14th century and is built on an older Christian church, which was erected on the ruins of a pre-Christian temple. The splint is a later addition, dating to the 17th century.
During the Turkish occupation, the Monastery of St. George was the spiritual center of the region. Today near the old monastery church is an established a new monastery.
HOLY MONASTERY OF ST JOHN Kalibitou PSACHNON
The Women's Monastery of St. John the Kalibitou located about 5 km from Psachna towards the village Prokopi Northern Evia and a total of 18 km from Chalkida . It is an old and historic monastery, whose church was built on the ruins of ancient pre-Christian temple , as inferred from the architectural relics.
The first written information about the monastery contained in “Synodicon '' which was written during the reign of Andronikos I Komnenos ( 1183-1185 ) . This first building was destroyed. The monastery was restored and painted in 1245. Since then found on a marble slab with the following description '' Emastorefthi panseptos the temple of our father St. John Kalibitou despite Michael Gourd . Blessed by the Lord STPSNG year ( 1245 ) .'' According to tradition the monastery was then rebuilt by Russian monks of the Monastery of St. Panteleimon the 18th century. But in the same time it was deserted. In 1920 is another attempt to reconstruc and has retained its state as of today .
Holy Monastery of Panagia Peribleptos
Approximately 1.5 km from the Political and total 25 km from Halkida to a small hill and beside τηεpicturesque springs is the Nunnery Lady Perivleptou. Going back to the Byzantine period , since both the village Politics , and the monastery associated with the Byzantine Evia . The name politically, is probably derived from the settlement of Constantinople and the name of the monastery as Perivleptou testifies the link with the region Constantinople.
Rescued only the ledger, the type of cruciform with a dome resting on four supports, and a part of the old precinct of . The church dates from 1025 AD , ruined and rebuilt again on the same bases in the Turkish period . In the first phase, the Byzantine belong marble floors, the temple which is distinguished marble Byzantine phase and that of the Turkish occupation.
From the existing evidence it is presumed that the monastery was rebuilt in the 11th or 12th century. In acts of Pope Alexander the Fourth dating back to the years 1234-1261 refer to the monastery of Saint Luke of Civil (San Luca de Politica) and not as Peribleptos speculated that the monastery was a dependency of St. Luke 's Aliveriou . The monument was probably the name Virgin Perivleptos when the monastery was destroyed and the Catholic Church was one of the policies. In patriarchal sigillium 1582 the church referred to as “small monastery 'and' church of the village of times immemorial.”
In 1969 the monastery revived when installed Sorority the Catholic renovated interior, cells were built, workshops and utility rooms. The monastery holds the relic piece of St. John Chrysostom and some anonymous saints.
THE ASSUMPTION MONASTERY OF MARY MAKRYMALLA
The male Monastery of the Assumption Makrymalli is located on a hillside approximately 2 km from the village Makrymalli , 7 km North of Psachna and a total of 20 km from Halkida , the capital of Evia.
Because of successive disasters suffered no written records have survived for the early years of its history and are based on oral tradition. Accordingly, the founders were two brothers who were farmers nearby huts of their congregation. Every night they saw a light in the opposite cliff . “When they went to that point, they found the icon of the Virgin Mary. They took it into their huts, built junk shrine where they put it front and lit a candle. Later they abandoned the everything and became monks and they built the monastery around the 12th century . Indeed , allegedly because of their long hair, the monastery took its name . However there are other versions about the origin of the name of the monastery. So another version suggests that it took its name from the first abbot named Long hair , while another was named after the image of long-haired Mary , which existed in the old Byzantine church . In files that were found, indicating that the Holy Vessels belonging to the Virgin Mary Makrymallissa.
The library has quite a rich collection of religious and historical content . In the monastery kept relics of Saints : Virgo , Friday , Charalambous , Panteleimon , Anargiron , Kingdom Angora , Nikita , Auxentiou , Straton , Ignatius , St. John the Baptist and Bishop Riginou Skopelos.
Many monks, took part in the revolution of 1821, hence this is the cause of this destruction and looting of the Turks. After liberation the monastery was rebuilt.. In 1950 was converted in to female monastery. And in December 2013 was again converted into male monastery.
Holy Monastery of Panagia Gorgoepikoos PSACHNON
The monastery Gorgoepikoos Psahnon is located 3.5 km from Psachna and a total of 18 km from the center of town. The foundation of the Monastery, due after miraculous intervention of Our Lady for her recovery Mother Superior of the convent Brigade Skoutela . The Abbess Brigade saw in a dream in 1960, the site is built on the Monastery , and this went on for about two years . So after acquiring the property and during the foundation work of the Church, on 25 May 1965, was a very old portable icon of the Virgin and Child . This is also the most precious treasure of the Monastery. The Cathedral was inaugurated in 1977 by His Eminence Metropolitan Chrysostomos A. Chalkidos Introduced Holy Chapels honored in the name of the Holy Martyr Polycarp , George and Fanouriou . Recently Google thorough renovation of the Catholic, the chapel and the place of the Discovery of the image, where new small chapel stood . And the Holy Icon of the Virgin Mary was preserved and placed in specially made silver frame handmade in the Temple of the monastery.
Holy Monastery of Panagia Myrtidiotissis Palioura
It is the newest monastery Metropolis Chalkidos. Established thanks to the love and the goodwill of the Metropolitan and the free will and oloprothymi cooperation of the three nuns , which for decades practiced near the Parish Chapel Assumption Paliouras Dirfyon , desiring the monastic life .
The year 2006 was a new Nunnery, devoted to Person of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Myrtidiotissa (celebrating the 24th of September) . The monastery is housed in a private area of nuns , which gave oloprothyma and now belongs to the Monastery , and is next to the Parish Chapel of the Assumption in Paliouras, which still belongs to the Parish of St. Nicholas Paliouras . On July 22, 2010 the new church was founded of the Monastery , in the name of Lady Myrtidiotissa .
MONASTERY OF SAINT NICHOLAS ANO VATHEIAS
Northeast of Upper Vatheias approximately 8 km and a total of about 30 km from Chalkida . Perched on a plateau of 490 meters in height. Among the cypresses and plane trees, with great views to the South Evian Gulf and the coasts of Attica is the Nunnery of St. Nicholas Ano Vatheias.
Although the information is incomplete, and weak evidence, regarding the issue of establishment and manning of the monastery, accepted by experts that the first monastic community settled in the mid 15th century ( 1455 ) . According to tradition, the monastery was rebuilt immediately after the fall of Constantinople.
In the courtyard there is a giant tree, aged about 1000 years, its shadow shrouds the temple , while the tap root of the running nonstop gurgling water . The Cathedral is the only one of the ancient buildings of the monastery who escaped the ravages of time and natural disasters, erected in honor of St. Nicholas, rebuilt from 1460 to 1463 and painted immediately with the fresco technique (fresso). Many of these paintings have survived. The temple is cross-vaulted nave rate basil with a rectangular plan. The typical architecture of this temple is the tribelon consisting of two columns made with cicular capitals, supporting three arches. Scholars speculate that has been built on the ruins of preexisting Asklepios .
The modern history of this monastery began in 1963 with the conversion of a female and installation in ruined buildings, fraternity five monks. Rebuilt chapels (Saint Theodosios the New and Agios Nektarios ) , new iconostasis was made in 1973 , created and embroidery workshops iconography , established in the grounds of the cemetery Metropolitans Chalkidos . The Catholic is On hoarded relics of Saints: Nicholas , John Chrysostom , Charalambous Xenophon , Friday , Saint David , and Arsenius of Cappadocia
The Monastery of St. Charalampous Lefkon - Avlonariou
On the East of the Avlonariou Mountain Kallimani, approximately 7 km from Avlonari and a total of 73 km from Halkida is the Nunnery of Saint Charalambos Lefkon. It is a Byzantine monastery built at an altitude of about 500 meters, surrounded by towering poplars, from which it took its name. In a beautiful natural landscape with panoramic views of the plains of Avlonariou , a typical source where cool water gushes . The monastery has been declared an archaeological monument. Founded before the 10th century as a monastery of the Virgin Mary . General Nikolaos Kriezotis had a special love for this monastery, since he learned his first letters here. In 1835 he fell ill and was heavy hospitalized in this monastery for some time, when it was functioning well celebrated on the feast of St. Charalambos, dedicating to one single image of the saint, and a piece of wood on which the witness had Hieromartyr Haralambos . So it was renamed the Monastery of Saint Charalambos.
The church and the monastery buildings are of great archaeological value with many rare photos and old inscriptions. Particularly important is a wooden lyre, which hungs in the Sanctuary of the primary church. (the Lyra has embossed the image of the monastery of St. Demetrios. According to tradition, the 14th century shepherd found her and gave to the Lefkon Monastery . Yet the lyre disappeared and moved to the monastery of Waterfall, where it remained until the dissolution of the monastery. )
The monastery was used during the German - Italian occupation as Greek and foreign enemies of the Axis in order to escape from Greece. Located near the eastern coast of Evia. For some years it remained abandoned and reopened in 1985 and operated until now as female nunnery.
Monastery of The Assumption of Mary Matzaras - Oxilithos
The current Nunnery of Assumption Matzaras is located 15 km southwest of Kymi, 28 km from Aliveri and a total of about 75 km from Chalkida. In a sunny side of the hill at a height of 200m Matzaras. Opposite Oxylithos and north of Orio.
The origin of the name of the monastery is unclear. According to the prevailing, the name comes from the founder of the '' base '' Matzaras oral tradition going for a Turkish official and owner of a rich landowner space round the monastery. Another version claims that '' Matzaras called the founder and first abbot. In another embodiment, the monastery was founded by rich woman from the coast of Asia, which she lived as an ascetic for some time and had much money , because the word Mantzara ''means asset , wealth , money .
It remains unknown the exact date of formation of the monastery. From donations, greeting , judgments, Sultan's , which saved the file , dating from the early 16th century . (Referred to in real estate ) . Presumably it was built in the 15th century.
During the revolution of 1821 , the monastery took an active part . The abbot Parthenius together with the monks fought near General Nikolaos Kriezotis. After the freedom of Evia , the abbot alonh with the monks gathered in the monastery and began rebuilding the ruins , since it was destroyed by hordes of Omer Bey of Karystinli . In 1910 he fell into decline and became the monastery of Christ Kimi .
John the Baptist Holy Monastery Karyon Karystias
Located 6.5 miles from Avlonari or 2.5 km from Sykies and a total of 67 km from Halkida through the highway Halkida Aliveriou, is the Male Monastery of Saint John Karyon, built at the foot of the mountain KALLIMANI. It was damaged for almost a century and now restored, continues to operate as normal and is an active monastery. The monastery is dedicated to St. John the Baptist and especially in Genesis that. As time considered the Establishment in 1600, after the church was completed in 1623 according to inscription on it.
Unfortunately not many survive on the history of the Abbey. From the scanty evidence suggests that the monastery in the 17th and 18th century had great spiritual and material prosperity. Dissolved in 1905 and became a dependency of the Monastery of St. Charalambos White, because domestic threats and raids Turks, since they brought in the plight. This is the reason that the material wealth but also her spiritual dispersed and perished.
The four-columned temple is cruciform with a dome. It has three entrances on the west side with performances at the lintel. In large part the hagiographies are damaged and require maintenance to fix and restore the church as sanctuary and as Byzantine monument.
The feast of the precursor of 1997 , became the birthday of the monastery , the settledment of monastic brotherhood and began reopening the monastery.
Holy Monastery of Savior Metamorfosis Kymis
The current Women's Monastery of the Transfiguration, is located 4km North of Kimi . In an environment of wildernesses, a steep 250 meters above sea level, overlooking the Aegean Sea and Skyros. Erected in 1643 and believed that the church is Byzantine. The complex is large, like all Byzantine monasteries and so specific, surrounded by four wings buildings which give image fortress. On the walls of the buildings are built from various architectural pre - Christian edifices. On the north side was a fortified tower defense built by the monks themselves. In the center stands the church of the Transfiguration, while on the left there is a spring with cool water.
Unfortunately disaster repairs and time have wiped out his past church. The temple is carved. The temples adorn icons which have been transferred from dissolved monasteries. Separate heirloom brocade is the epitaph of Descent and he who has transferred from dissolved monastery, probably the single furnace. As both monasteries Holy Potiria and Clivanou moved there after the dissolution. Inside the temple relics of Saints and Martyrs as St. Tryphon , St. Nicholas , St. Haralambos , Agia Paraskevi. In the library there are books of the 18th century.
Tradition says that the monastery was founded by monks of Mount Athos in the 15th century, which confirmed by stamp of 1643, which is divided into four, as seen in Agios Oros. It is said that the monks escaped from the Turks and found refuge here. In 1785 the monastery remained exercise bishop Evripos Ierotheos, later Metropolitan of Ioannina. It should be noted their active participation in the revolution of 1821, because of which the monastery was destroyed by the Turks. Specifically in 1821-1823 from the Karystou Omer Pasha Bey . Repaired in 1847 by pioneers of craftmens Giannakis, and with the guidance and contribution of Koumioton. Also importantly, was the action of the monks in the national resistance of 1941-1944, where the monastery was a place of refuge and escape to Greek and foreign enemies of the Axis , under the spiritual guidance of Bishop Panteleimon Fostini. Since 1976 the monastery was converted into a female nunnery.
Monastery of Agios Dimitrios Waterfall Oktanias
Uniqueness is the depiction of the Second Coming on the “Delta wall, where the variety of themes and mikropaintings is excellent
Monastery of Saint George Skyrou
The Monastery of St. George of Skyros is located in Skyros Island. Located east of Evia, which lies around 35 km and is the largest island of the Sporades ( 210 sq.kms. ). The distance of the Monastery of the capital city of the island or else called Country, which lies on the eastern coast.
The church of St. George was erected in 960 AD with the financial support of the Byzantine Emperor Nikiforos Fokas and Ioannis Tsimiskis. The Monastery of St. George of Skyros , is said to be founded in the 13th century, certainly between 1016 AD and 1447 AD . Subordinated to the Patriarchate of Constantinople as an independent monastery. There was no relationship with the monastery of Great Lavra on Mount Athos, which from 1016 AD had acquired in Skyros mountain pastures, which were donated by the noblewoman Glykerias. In 1447 AD, perhaps a little later, the independent Convent of St George, joined as a dependency in the Monastery of Great Lavra on Mount Athos. The current complex of the monastery is the years of Venetian and Ottoman rule. In the 19th and 20th century, renovations and support underwent as well as change the interior layout. The assessment of dating temple ( St. George) is between 1599m.Ch . - 1602m. in accordance to the carved marble inscription above the belfry.
By 2001 the monastery was in full operation. The earthquake of 2001, was damaged and for this reason remained closed to the public. Recently completed repair work on the ground level, which has opened its doors to the public. From the balcony of the west wing of the monastery, you can enjoy stunning views of the town.
Interested for visitors are on particular architectural construction, historically features and elements of the following are:
The chapel of St. George, between Drossia - Loukissia has an important painting dated back to the 14th-17th century.
The Monastery Erion Monomeritissa, to Kathenous. According, the inscription is 1637.
Agia Paraskevi Loutsas. depiction of the second presense on the west wall comparable to art, themes, and this mikrozohagiograhy of St. Demetrios Kataraxti .
Agia Kyriaki, cavernous chapel at Kambia narrow.
The Monastery of Lady Assumption Theotokou Hiliadou is said that the name came because it was the umpteenth who built the Byzantine Empress Theodora.
Post-Byzantine chapel Panagia Ampoudiotissa on foot of fir forest with alpine meadows , north of Settas .
Ekklisidio Assumption in Aliveri , cross-shaped in 1393 and recorded a very good paintings .
Cave St. Christodoulousti in Limni . Here the hermit Saint Christodoulos at the end of the 10th century .
Saint Basil Oreos . A Byzantine church whose altar is carved into the rock.
Skyros has about 300 churches and chapels and many of which are important. Each of the chapels has its own place and its own sake. Designations: Archodopanayia, Panagia Lemonitria, Thodori Virgin , Virgin Tsyrapsomou , Notre shepherd , Panagia D'chounia , Christ t'Arkoudi .
Characteristic also is the cavernous cave - churches in remote and dyskolodiavata points . Agios Dimitrios in Ferekampo Skyros.