Sightseeing in the island of Skyros
Skyros in the Aegean color, the narrow roads, the distinctive local architecture, the rich tradition, the skill work wooden, the ceramics and the embroidery, the intense changes of the landscape, the green North and the wild south, the idyllic isolated beaches, the excellent tourist infrastructure, the unique "Skyrian horse", the local gastronomy and the traditional hospitality is an ideal destination with a lot of surprises and emotions for Greek and foreign visitors.
• The Castle on the top of Skyros rock
• The Monastery of Saint George, that was established by the emperors Tsimiski and Fokas in the 10th century.
• The picturesque narrow roads of the village
• The Skyros wooden carvings, ceramics and embroideries with local motifs
• The Archaeological Museum with exhibits from the excavation at the archaeological place “Palamari” and the Temple of Apollo
• The Faltaits Museum one of the most remarkable Greek folklore museums,
• The “Skyrian House” "Andreas Gialouris" with local folklore collection
• The exhibition of sculptures “GEORGE LABROU”
• The Square of Eternal poetry, the statue of the English poet Rupert Brooke who died in Skyros in 1914, an artwork by the sculptor Michael Tobros
• The area “ Pouria”, where are the remains of an ancient quarry.
• The rock-cut church of Agios Nikolaos in area Pouria
• The pine forest in the northern part of the island.
• The archaeological palce in “Palamari” an ancient settlement of the 3rd millennium,
• The 300 country churches
• The church of St. Demetrios at FEREKAMPOS with the unique wall paintings.
• The Mount "Kohylas" that is integrated into the network Natura 2000 (GR2420006).
• The location "FLEA" or "FLEVA" because of water veins, which are there. The area belongs to the “NET NATURA 2000”
• The courses “Loutro” and “Nyfi” in Kalamitsa
• The Ari plateau with the “maple trees - Sfendami” and the Skyrian horses.
• The unique "Skyrian horse" (race of Equus cabalus, which is a small body horse similar to a “pony” with height of 0.9 m. to 1.09 m. It lives free and semi-wild in small herds on mount Kohylas in the southern part of the island for centuries.
• The tomb of the England poet Rupert Brooke at the area three Boukes 9tris Boukes)
• The Windmills
• The horse riding Centres.
The Bantam Skyros horse race is now one of the rare breeds of horses in the world. This is one of the indigenous horse breeds of Greece that existed in ancient times in Greece. They have managed to survive on the island of Skyros, thus taking the name. Today there are 260 local horse breed throughout Greece, of which 187 live in Skyros. They are a protected species.
The Skyrian ponies are pets, socially, robust, intelligent and a Husky type horse. Their head is very beautiful with long rich mane in a color usually darker than the skin. Compared with other types of horses they have big tummies. Their legs are thin, strong and sinewy with strong joints. Their tail is mounted low, tufted and away. Often reaches hooves are as small, hard, and usually black and need shoeing. Their characteristic hairs on hooves, called "wings”. The color of the horse is usually in shades of reddish brown to brown (orfno ) more rarely white or gkrizofaiou ( gray ) and more rarely blond . Some have a white mark on the face (stars Rimbaud ). The Skyros horse belongs to the species Equus Cabalus but due to its small size is considered as a separate breed called Equus Cabalus Skyros Poni or Equus Cabalus Skyriano, in Greek: skyrian alogaki. One should note that the Skyrian ponnies are characterized scientifically as ponies because of the bantam (poni = bantam horse), but any similarity with our familiar ponies in Northern Europe stopped there for this and exact reference to it is nothing but " as Skyrian ponies ."